Thursday, June 11, 2015

Sacred Space

This is one of those topics that I can easily go on and on about, not just altar creation, but temple creation and outdoor sacred space.

I have had an altar since I was eleven years old, it was on top of my dresser until my Mom sent me to live with my Dad, in Dad's house he gave me a book case, my brothers each had one as well, it was ours and we didn't touch each others space. We also had a fire-safe box. So My altar became the top shelf, the second shelf was my Pagan books, a bottle of white sand and a bottle of black sand, then the third shelf was lined with jars of herbs, and the home of my crystal garden, the bottom shelf was where I kept my recreational reading (fantasy books) and my lock box, which held my Athame and a few other odds and ends.

I moved out on my own and my altar moved to the top of my six foot long french regency style chest of drawers, with a shelf hung on the wall above for things I didn't want to risk the cat getting into. Then I moved back home, to Dad's basement, and I claimed a set of shelves that were built in and set up a quick altar.

Dad and I had a falling out about a year later and I moved out again, from then my altar spent a year or two boxed up and erected as needed. I got my Permanent altar set up again in a wardrobe situated centrally in my York, PA row house, with basement access when I needed privacy.

Two years later Dad had a heart attack and I was forced to move back to Utah, my supplies were boxed for a month until I could sort things well enough to set up an Altar. I filmed it and shared it on youtube.


Its been almost a year since I set up this altar, I found a crystal chalice at a thrift store for .75 cents so the dollar store number is in my cabinet, I have also purchased another stand for my water dish so that the height between it and my Abalone smudge dish was more balanced. To the left of the cubby hangs a hand crafted clay goddess, to the right hangs a dirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment