Monday, May 18, 2015

Getting Acquainted...

With all the traditions out there, I would classically label myself as three things. Celtic, Family Traditional and Faery Faith. Silver suggested that I copy down the different traditions and leave room for more. And I agree, I have the different traditions highlighted in so many other places that I'm not doing it here.

What influences me is Celtic, Faery, my Family and some Asatru. My Gardnerian Lineage is traced from my coven Initiation back to ( a few people and) Doreen Valiente.

My ancestors did not bleed for a wide range of Gods, they bled for Cailleach, and a few bled for Bran. My ancestors are Scottish on both sides, with a dash from Saxony/Hessian Germany, Belgium, and Sweden. This gives me a fascination with Asatru, the ritual structures, I hold a Blot once a year but would never call on Odin or Baldur. I found a statue of Freyja at a local thrift store and couldn't resist her, but candles on that altar are unlikely, she may end up being gifted to a student. I adore the Roman practice of household gods but on I Hecate I will not call.

Faeries? A huge part of the lore held by the Scottish Clans, I have seen Faeries for as long as I can remember. They introduced me to real magick even before my parents talked about anything like that in front of me, they have been my Guardians as I have been theirs.

There is a lot to be said for the simplicity of an Eclectic Altar, it feels a lot more primitive, more genuine that the highly commercialized statuary on the market over priced cast resin statues with a bronze finish. It feels to me like I'm placing an action figure on my altar. The less detailed figures reach a place with me, they can be anyone I need them to be. Does this make me Eclectic? Not in my own eyes. In someone else's eyes? Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment